Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Saving money while eating well

One thing I've noticed the past two weeks as I've been shopping for healthier food is that my grocery bill has increased! I'm also not buying all those inexpensive but bad for you snacks - cookies, chips, processed food, etc. so my quantity of groceries has decreased. Apparently I'm going to have to start finding ways to save money on the healthier stuff - I'm convinced it can be done, it just might take a bit more work.

Three things I found this week:

1. I was shopping at Whole Foods and discovered they have a section of loose Organic herbs. Now I do spend a lot on herbs - I typically buy them at Penzey's, but since I was there and was almost out of basil and rosemary, I picked some up. It ended up being very inexpensive to purchase what I needed. I got three scoops of each for 15 cents and 24 cents. Definitely enough to fill my Penzey's jars about 1/3 of the way full. Plus - what a great source for herbs and spices you don't use often!

2. Speaking of herbs, I was checking out my herb garden from last year and my thyme, oregano and chives all came back! So, I need to purchase basil, mint, parsley and cilantro and I'll be set. In the summer I use the fresh herbs as much as I can. For less than the price of one jar I can have a plant that will supply all I need all summer long. In fact last year my basil plant was so prolific I ended up giving away bags of basil and made up ten baggies of pesto for the freezer.

3. I found a few coupons for organic/ healthy foods at this website: http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/ I was able to print $1.00 off coupons for Muir Glen tomatoes and $1.00 off coupons for any Cascadian Farms product. I haven't checked my regular grocery stores for prices, but Cascadian Farms frozen veggies were $1.67 at Whole Foods and they took the coupon with no problem.

No comments: