Friday, February 6, 2009

Frugal School Snacks

At my daughter's preschool, the parents take turns bringing in snacks - it averages out to 3 or 4 times for the entire school year, so pretty inexpensive. However, I discovered this week how I could save even more money.

I always let my daughter decide what she wants to bring and she decided on cookies. So, while we were at the grocery I picked up a container of cookies - she said to me "no mom, not those, I want cookies with pink frosting and sprinkles," I walked over to the bakery, but all the cookies had that potential nut exposure which is a no-no at her school. So, I thought to myself - we'll just make cookies.

The night before she brought snack, we baked sugar cookies together, iced them and put on sprinkles. I didn't have to buy ANYTHING for the snack - I had all the ingredients already at home.

In addition, thanks to afullcup.com I had scored some free Ocean Spray juice at Target.

Just taking a few minutes to plan ahead saved us $5 and created a fun afternoon!

1 comment:

Jeff9 said...

A nice start but if you really want to save money get serious (and cleaner) and get a Bathroom Bidet Sprayer from www.bathroomsprayers.com and you won't even need toilet paper, just a towel to dry off! It's cheap and can be installed without a plumber; it runs off the same water line to your toilet. . You'll probably pay for it in a few months of toilet paper savings. And after using one of these you won't know how you lasted all those years with wadded up handfuls of toilet paper, nasty. Now we're talking green and helping the environment without any pain.