Friday, September 17, 2010

Yummy "healthier" chocolate cupcakes!

Well, my daughter asked for chocolate cupcakes. Being the nice mom I am I told her I'd make some. I pulled a box from the shelf and took a look at the ingredient list - uh oh - goes so against the way we are trying to eat these days. So, I pulled out my cookbooks, looked at a few different receipes and came up with the following . . . and WOW, they are better than I thought they would be! I even ate one with my morning coffee for a mid-morning treat. The only thing I wasn't thrilled with was the white suger. I would normally substitute honey, but I didn't have enough on hand.

Chocolate cupcakes

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 T flaxseed
1 and 1/2 cups sugar (or try honey if you have it)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (best quality you can afford)
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
3/4 c. coconut oil (melted)
2 cups finely shredded zucchini

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour cupcake tins (made 18 normal sized)
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Add eggs and beat in, then do the same with the oil. Fold in zucchini. The batter will be a bit "chunky."
3. Spoon into prepared muffin tins. Bake about 25 minutes - until fork comes out clean.

Cool and eat plain (as I did) or ice with your favorite frosting.

No comments: