Well, this turned into a winner - it's a great way to use up some of those green tomatoes sitting on your counter. I'm not sure where I originally got the recipe - a magazine or website, it's been in my "to try" folder for quite some time. I did make quite a few changes for our tastes:
Green Tomato Casserole
3 strips of bacon
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
4 - 6 green tomatoes, sliced
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan or mozzarella
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs (or Panko)
1 T. butter, melted
handful fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1. cook your bacon in a skillet, reserving some of the fat
2. Carmelize the onions in the same skillet, then crumble up the bacon and add it back to the skillet.
3. Place a layer of tomatoes in a baking pan (8x8 is about right), add a layer of onions and bacon, tomatoes, onion and bacon and then one last layer of onions.
4. sprinkle the bread crumbs, cheese and melted butter over top.
5. sprinkle on the thyme and salt and pepper to taste
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Cover with foil if it starts to burn on the top.
I didn't need to add much salt due to the bacon, so season carefully and enjoy!