Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Remember the big picture

So, back to my post last week about making our lives more fulfilling . . .

As I mentioned, I do a good job of taking things in stride. It's pretty simple really - if I feel myself starting to get really stressed out or worried about something, I stop and ask myself a simple question:

Will this matter in 5 years?


Guess what? Almost every time, the answer is no. So simple, and yet so calming. This really helps keep me thinking about the big picture and about what is really important to me.

This got me thinking - how could I apply this same principle to my other "big" question:

What would you do if you knew you wouldn't fail?

Well, maybe by thinking about it in the same context - if it's something I'm afraid to do, just ask myself if it will matter in five years - in other words even if I royally screw up, is it really going to matter? I bet the answer is probably not.

I'm going to challenge myself to think this way for the next few weeks and see what happens - anytime I stop doing something I want to try, or think about something I'd like to try but am "afraid" to, I'm going to ask that question - and keep track of the results. Should be an interesting experiment!

No comments: