Friday, August 13, 2010

Here come the tomatoes!

Well, our tomatoes are finally starting to ripen! My husband tried growing them by seed this year, and since they were very small when he was ready to move them, he bought a few more to supplement - now they are ALL ripening! I've already been through jalapenos (bumper crop!), cucumbers and basil (I have enough pesto in the freezer for the whole winter!).

Last year I dried a ton of tomatoes - we use them on pizza, with pasta and in dips. I actually still have plenty of those, so this year I'm concentrating on sauce. I make a super simple, generic sauce and I can use it on pizza, in place of canned tomatoes in soups, and with pasta. I'm afraid to can (really need to get over that!), so I typically make batches and freeze it. It comes out of the freezer a little watery, but still tastes terrific.

Here's how it goes:

Preheat oven to 250.
Half or slice (big chunks) tomatoes.
Place into a 9x13 glass pan.
Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle salt, pepper and any herbs you like over top.
Add onions or garlic chopped finely if you'd like.
Put in the oven for an hour and a half or until the skin slides off and the tomatoes are soft. Take the skins off and discard (or use for compost).
Cool, put in blender and blend until smooth.
Use or freeze!

How simple is that? I have a couple pans in the oven right now!

Any good ideas for jalapenos? I have frozen more than we will ever use, and given away a ton, but there are still more coming!!!!

No comments: