Thursday, December 1, 2011

Advent Calendar



I have seen so many cute Advent calendars on the internet this year - how to decide??? Since I've been fighting this cold, I haven't had the energy to do much, but I didn't want to miss out on the Advent fun, so I decided to use our normal Advent calendar (that my SIL made for us) and I've tucked little notes in some of the pockets with activities we will do on the day the note is pulled.

For instance, today was day 1, so I tucked a note in with the ornament that said "family game night - play a game together". Some of the notes involve a craft or cooking (like make cards or make fudge), some are an activity (decorate the tree, go look at Christmas lights) and some are service oriented (take dinner to friends, bless a neighbor). I looked at my calendar and placed the notes based upon our schedule - so for instance I know we're getting our tree Sunday - hence the tree note goes in on Sunday. I put the "make cards" note in a few days before teacher gifts will be delivered, etc.

The kids were super excited to find the note this morning - they had already been looking forward to the tree itself so this was a real bonus!

Maybe next year I'll get all crafty, but in the meantime at least I'm making this year special!

No comments: