Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Continue the vacation lifestyle

As promised, here is my post about the things we did on vacation that I plan on continuing at home - I really think it will help me keep that "vacation mindset" and lower stress!

On the drive home, I mentioned to DH that some of the things I enjoyed most were not the "big" activities, but small moments. That got us to talking about how we can encorporate some of those into our daily life . . .

1. Morning walk - my DS and I got up almost every morning before anyone else and went for about a half hour walk - great start to the day! We've been home two days and I've managed it one of them. My goal will be most days of the week.

2. Relaxing with a good book - be it while my DS was napping, laying by the pool while my DH and kids played, etc. I did a lot more reading than I do at home. So, several nights a week, I plan on shutting off the TV and opening a book. I'm also joining a book club with some girlfriends - we'll meet once a month to discuss our latest read.

3. Working out of the office. All my work was done from a Starbucks, Panera, McDonald's, hotel lobby - basically anywhere I could get wireless. I am blessed to work from home, but I did discover I could accomplish more in a day at Starbucks than I sometimes finish in a week at home. So, once or twice a week, I'm hitting the road. I figure I might spend an extra $5 - $10 a week, but if I can get more work done, that means more free time to play with the kids.

4. Which leads into the last item - playing with the kids. Everyday we did something together as a family - a walk, coloring, swimming, going to the park, etc. So, I'm going to make sure we continue that at home. Last night after running errands we stopped at A&W and all got Rootbeer floats (minus rootbeer for the kids as they don't drink pop!). We sat in the booth for an hour and just talked. It was simple and fun and free!

No comments: