Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Review of May Goals

As promised, here is a recap of how I did with my May goals:

1 - be healthy and a good role model for my children: I did eat a lot better in May than I had been eating, and the great thing is that has continued into June!
2 - less sweets, more fruits and vegetables - I did decrease my sweet intake, I was snacking on candy almost everyday and now I only eat it a few times a week as a specific treat. I've also been eating a lot more fruits and vegetables - which is much easier to do now that I can get them fresh!
3 - more whole foods versus mixes - I was never a big user of mixes, but I think for the entire month of May I only used one box mix and that was a specific request from my DD for Mac n Cheese
4 - more whole grains versus white bread, rice, pasta, etc. - I ate very little grains in May that were not whole grains, I started eating Steel Cut Oats (yum!), we had many different grains (barley, brown rice, quinoa, etc.)
5 - eliminate as much high fructose corn syrup as possible - I checked the labels on everything I purchased and although there is still quite a bit in the pantry, I didn't add to the stash and I will continue to eliminate this as well as some of the other additives I mentioned in one of my posts
6 - increase my water intake (versus diet pop and coffee) - not as good of a job as I'd like here - I am down to no more than one pop a day and one cup of coffee, but I'm still not drinking as much water as I should - I just don't like it and I got really burnt out while I was pregnant and nursing and only drank water - so this one I still need to work on

May was a fun month to concentrate on healthy eating - I learned a lot and made some changes that will stick! Hopefully the rest of the year will be as enjoyable and fruitful!

No comments: