Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Organizing Tips

One area that I am always working on is to make my household run more efficiently by being more organized. Lately I've spent some time working on different areas of my home. I thought it might be fun to share some of my projects (with before and after pictures!). Since I'm not at home today, I thought I'd start out with three easy ideas to help you become better organized without spending much money:

1. Create an attractive landing pad - when you walk into your house, I'm sure you have an area where things just automatically pile up - keys, mail, purse, etc. That's your landing pad. Often this is an area that is always a mess. So, why not make it attractive? For example - designate hooks or a small basket for keys and another basket for mail. Add a pretty container to set change or other small items in. Use things you have around the house or find something inexpensive at a garage sale or Goodwill. Then make it a habit to clean this area off at least once a week. I'm actually in the process of moving my landing pad out of the kitchen and into the mud room.

2. If you are a daily coffee drinker set up a coffee station (or ditto for tea). Put your coffee pot near your water source, then stock a nearby cabinet with your mugs, filters, coffee, flavorings, etc. Keep everything within easy reach.

3. Don't just pay your bills online, get your bills online. This eliminates paper ever entering your house.

When I return from my next trip I'll start posting my progress as I complete projects.

No comments: